E.V. Vasilyev book
The main developer of RDC Aqualines ekranoplans technical concept was Edward V. Vasiliev.
His whole professional life till the last day was dedicated to ekranoplans.
After graduating from aviation institute he started his career in the Central Hydrofoil Design Bureau. There, under the guidance of Rostislav E. Alexeyev, he participated in designing, constructing, testing of several ekranoplans and putting those into operation within the framework of the USSR ekranoplans program.
Since 2000, he continued to work independently on the project for a passenger ekranoplan, which embodied the best achievements of the Soviet design school.
In 2013, E.V. Vasilyev, in cooperation with P. Tsarapkin, started the RDC Aqualines project.
Even on his last day, June 18, 2016, he continued to work, in order to preserve the scientific and technical groundwork and make ekranoplans a new type of commercial transport open to public.
- - Kazan Aviation Institute, 1965, aircraft construction, mechanical engineer. Ekranoplans design studies.
- - Engineer-designer, senior engineer, leading designer of the UT-1 project in the Design Department of the Central Design Bureau for hydrofoils (Nizhny Novgorod).
- - Head of the Design Department of the Central Design Bureau test station for ekranoplans (IS-2, Chkalovsk, UT-1, SM-8, SM-6).
- - Participation in projects for Alexeyev's ekranoplans - projects VTE, 904, in R & D, including models testings in wind tunnel of the KAI and the Zhukovsky academy.
- - As the chief of the design department, he carried out modernization and provided testing of the UT-1, SM-8 and SM-6 ekranoplans in Chkalovsk and Kaspiisk.
- - Within the framework of a number of research projects, development of dozens of laboratory models and testing them on IS-2 stands.
- - Development of the stand and volumetric static tests of the SM-6 ekranoplan twin before destruction.
- - Participation in the development of experimental hovercrafts (Typhoon, Sibir, Lastochka, Malysh).
Inventions (author's certificates):
- - "Ekranoplan", AC N 1837508 from 13.10.1992.
- - "Ekranoplan with hydrodynamic takeoff device", AC N 1837508 from 13.10.1992.
- - "A hydroskiing device for ekranoplan", AC N 1837506 from 13.10.1992.
- - "A hydroskiing device for ekranoplan", AC N 1837507 from 13.10.1992.
- - "Takeoff underwater wing device of the ekranoplan", AC N 3174441 of 13.10.1992.
- - "Takeoff accelerator ...", AC N 1486397 from 15.02.1989.
Ekranoplan is a new-generation vehicle
combining elements of aviation and marine technologies.
In fact, ekranoplans are high-speed vessels
reaching flight speed.
Currently, RDC Aqualines launches the project for civil ekranoplan manufacturing.
Operational characteristics of ekranoplans assume
a wide range of application of these vehicles, where they have
competitive advantage in relation to other types of vehicles:
- - Passenger and cargo transportation;
- - Transport support of activities of oil and gas companies in hard-to-reach areas;
- - Transport support of activities of operational services
(emergency service, medical service, conservancies, Coast Guard).
Flying and seagoing characteristics of the ekranoplan with shock-mounted hydroski
In terms of physical characteristics, the range of operating speeds is limited,
on the one hand – by a minimum speed of sustainable aquaplaning (after the top of resistance),
on the other hand – by the maximum permissible speed for conditions
of longitudinal stability. For example, for a light ekranoplan
with 550 hp engine this range for the flight and maneuvers near the ground effect zone
, with a rreleased hydroski, is approximately (look at the diagrams):
V operational = (0,7 – 1,2) V cruising = 100-190 km/h.
CERTIFICATION AND LEGAL ISSUES
OWNERSHIP AND OPERATION
The legal format of owning and operating the ekranoplan as a high-speed passenger vessel
does not differ from other types of vessels in this category.
They are subject to the requirements and restrictions provided
for high-speed passenger vessels of this category
(depending on displacement, passenger capacity and other characteristics).
To obtain permission to operate an ekranoplan on a specific route line,
it is necessary to get a permission from the authorized national transport agency,
as well as each port in which it is going to be operated. So, for example,
for the legal operation of EP-15 ekranoplan on the Tallinn-Helsinki route line,
in addition to the vessel classification certificate, permission
of the following organizations is required: